Volunteer at the Parks
Volunteering at one of our local State Parks is an enjoyable and rewarding experience. Training is provided to prepare you for any of the positions available, from leading nature walks, participating in the Plover Watch Program, hosting one of the Visitor Centers, to restoring native plants to the coastal habitat.
Join close to 300 other volunteers to improve the experience of the hundreds of thousands of visitors to our coastal parks each year.
Volunteer opportunities exist at the following parks on the San Mateo coast:
Año Nuevo State Park
New Year's Creek Road, Pescadero, CA 94060
- Lead elephant seal walks during the breeding season (December – March). Nearly 40,000 people participate in seal walks annually, approximately one-third are school children.
- Be a Roving Naturalist Docent year-round on the beaches where elephant seals haul out.
- Serve as Visitor Center Host at the Marine Education Center and Park Store.
Contact Año Nuevo Docent Coordinator at 650-879-2032 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, visit the volunteer page on the Año Nuevo State Park website at http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25259
Half Moon Bay State Beach
95 Kelly Avenue, Half Moon Bay, Ca. 94019
- Serve as Host at the Visitor Center Park Store at this popular beach visited by hundreds of thousands of people each year.
- Participate in Plover Watch Program to monitor and protect this endangered shorebird, which nests on the coastal beaches.
- Participate in the Beach Restoration Project to remove invasive non-native plants and replace them with natives.
Half Moon Bay Beaches: Contact Ranger Nelle Lyons at (650) 726-8804, voice mailbox 7# or Email email@example.com
San Mateo Coast State Parks Habitat Restoration: Contact Restoration Coordinator Ami Riley at 650-726-8801 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lead nature walks in the only extensive wetland along the coast of the San Francisco peninsula, which is an important link in the Pacific flyway.
Contact Ranger Nelle Lyons at (650) 726-8804, voice mailbox 7# or Email email@example.com
Pigeon Point Light Station State Historic Park
210 Pigeon Point Road, Pescadero, CA 94060
- Interpret the history of one of the tallest lighthouses on the West Coast, which is visited by up to 100,000 people each year.
- Host the Visitor Center and Keeper’s Store.
- Participate in the Habitat Restoration Project to remove invasive non-native plants and replace them with natives.
Contact Docent Coordinator Julie Barrow at 650-879-2020 or Email Volunteers.PigeonPoint@parks.ca.gov